It’s not quite officially done, but close enough!! The shower is usable and everything works!
I am very happy with how it looks, although I will say I am not happy about the process. This “ten day renovation” ended up taking close to 8 weeks. Well, actually more than that considering there is still one piece of shoe molding to put down, and a little bit of caulking and touch-up painting to be done.
Here’s a view with my fish-eye lens, which really gives you a view of the whole room:
**Update** It has been about a month since I started writing this post. They came and fixed the shoe molding, and did all the touch up work, only to find (after they left) that someone gouged the new flooring. As in, a whole plank needs to be replaced. We have a couple of spare planks, but it is disappointing.
Overall, I love it. I love how it turned out. I think it looks good and clean, it feels restful and relaxing.
So now for some of the details– I don’t know exactly how the budget breaks down since everything went through my contractor. But I can tell you what products we used. We went with Moen “Eva” fixtures in the shower, and the matching model for the towel bar, toilet paper holder, and robe hooks. This is not the cheapo version you can find at any box store- this is the real deal that shouldn’t have any problems for a looong time to come.
We decided to stick with shiny chrome for all the finishes as well- I like how it looks.
The last time you saw my light fixture, it was upside down. A few minutes of taking out the screws, flipping it over, and re-screwing it took care of that problem. It is Hampton Bay from Home Depot. I like how I don’t see the light bulbs anymore.
In the shower, I really wanted to have a niche built into the wall. At first, this seemed like it would be a major problem since two-thirds of the shower shares an exterior wall. The product that our tile guys got (I didn’t catch the name) is already insulated pre-built box that was perfect. The cut a hole, stuck it in, and tiled right over it. It’s 12″ by 12″ square, and holds quite a bit!
You can get a glimpse from the photo above, and below, that we used a marble accent tile called “Biltmore.” You can read more about it in the progress of the bathroom here.
It really is a pretty, light green that goes very well with the gray paint we picked out- “Passive” by Sherwin Williams.
And I am LOVING the floor. It is a vinyl plank by Armstrong in Exotic Fruitwood- Persimmon. This pic really makes it look a bit more red, but it looks like real wood. I specifically wanted vinyl flooring because unless we went all out with heated flooring, just doing tile would mean constantly cold feet. Not only does this product stay a good temperature, but looks so good, warms up the space, and I don’t have to worry about it getting wet!
And now….for dramatic effect….the before and after!
I will say I’m pleased with the product, but not the journey. I have some serious thinking to do before doing any other (big) projects in this house!!